Agency: Commonwealth Foundation
Value: £30,000 per year Maximum
Eligible Caribbean Countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Guyana, Jamaica, St Lucia, The Bahamas, Trinidad and Tobago
Field: Creative expression, Capacity development, Constructive engagement, Learning & Sharing
Deadline: 4 January 2017
The Commonwealth Foundation’s mission is to develop the capacity of civil society to act together and learn from each other to engage with the institutions that shape people’s lives, as we work towards a more effective, responsive and accountable governance with civil society participation.
The Foundation awards grants for projects that contribute to effective, responsive and accountable governance with civil society participation.
Your project must address one of the following areas and should be cross cut with a theme of gender:
1. Creative expression – Your organisation wishes to:
- make unique creative contributions to public discourse
- strengthen local creative sectors to support the work of writers and other storytellers in civil society
2. Capacity development – Your organisation wishes to:
- enhance your effectiveness to engage constructively with the institutions in governance and/or the private sector at grass roots, national or regional level
- strengthen the links with, and participation of your members and constituents in advocacy processes at grass roots, national or regional level
- monitor and report on the implementation of regional and international protocols and agreements
3. Constructive engagement – Your organisation wishes to:
- develop policy and influence decision making at local, national or regional level
- advocate for policy implementation or policy change at local, national or regional level
- domesticate the Sustainable Development Goals and other international protocols and agreements
- raise national issues at regional and international level in order to influence regional and international spaces and agendas
4. Learning and sharing – Your organisation wishes to adapt a model of good and fit practice from another organisation, to help deliver your organisation’s work.
To be eligible for a grant the applicant must be:
- a registered national or regional civil society organisation (CSO)2 .
- seeking £30,000 per year or less.
- applying for funding for one to three years
- The average of the applicant’s total income over the last two years is less than £3m
- The project must address one of the four focus areas
- The project will take place in an eligible Commonwealth Foundation member country
- The project has not yet started
- The application includes counterpart resourcing of a minimum of 10% of the total project budget.
- The applicant does not have an existing grant from the Commonwealth Foundation at the time the application window is opened.
CSOs may apply for a grant in partnership with another CSO however all CSOs involved in implementing a Commonwealth Foundation grant must be registered organisations and included as partners in the application.